Monday, June 30, 2008

Disney Lost My Social Security Number


Back in 1994, Hunter Walker bought five shares of stock in theme park giant Walt Disney Company...

I invested in the House of Mouse because they were one of the only companies I knew of as a 10-year-old. Over the years, I held on to the stock as Disney made a killing by becoming a farm system of teenie bopper talent. But I just found out that Disney lost my identity.

I got a lovely letter in the mail informing me that on February 27, 2008, a company doing archive services for Disney lost a box of "data back-up tapes" that contained my name, address, and best of all, my social security number. Fun!

Apparently the people working for Disney shareowner services at Bank of New York Mellon had someone from Archive America driving my personal info through New Jersey, and it fell off the truck or something. Schmucks. Supposedly, Disney was unable to notify me about this sooner because

It took us some time to determine whose information was contained on the tapes.


Now, they've set me up with two years of identity theft insurance and credit monitoring to make up for the mistake. There's also a useless "missing box hotline." The lost box was one of two screw-ups by Archive America and Bank of New York already this year that have resulted in the loss of the "sensitive information of more than 4.5 million people and 747 companies."

Now, I'm busy filing police and FTC reports and trying to figure out whether or not this security breach has caused me any serious problems. Either way, it's a whole lot of stress. They totally owe me sushi at Epcot and a free breakfast with Mickey next time I'm at Disney World.

No comments: